Monday, July 16, 2012

One More Day Proves That Joe Quesada Does Not Understand Spider-Man



It's official.
Joe Quesada does not understand Spider-Man in the least.
(I would say that if you haven't read Amazing Spider-Man 545 yet, you should stop here until you do read it, but I actually recommend that you just don't read it at all.)

But unlike some people, I am not going to call for his head. At least not completely. Other than the horrible Black Panther and Storm wedding, most of what he's done outside of Spider-Man has been pretty good. I liked Civil War (for the most part). I love Astonishing X-Men. Grant Morrison's X-Men was good, but not really for me. Planet Hulk was a ton of fun (I am behind and haven't read WWH yet). But with all that in mind, let's look at some of the Spider-Man stories that came about under his watch (some of which were his idea)

Sins Past
Spider-Totems
Ezekiel
One More Day
(I will admit that making Peter a science teacher was fun and I liked that)
He's certainly trying. And I think the stories he's given us have seemed great in his head. But the fact that they seemed like good ideas to him makes it even worse. The fact that he seems to really think these are all great ideas shows that he is severely lacking in any understanding of the character. If he was phoning it in, I'd probably be more willing to cut him some slack. And since he has made many statements defending OMD, let's look at some of them.

First off, he insists that the marriage was a bad idea because free and single Peter is more interesting. First off, Peter is supposed to be the "everyman." Stan Lee started the trend of maturing Peter Parker when he sent him off to college.
 Granted, that was largely due to John Romita drawing him less dorky, but it was still Stan "the Man" Lee who had Peter grow up. And part of growing up for most people is getting married. He says that there are no good stories to tell with married Peter. If that's the case, he needs to hire better writers. It's not our fault they're not creative enough to come up with good stories that don't involve manufactured romantic woes. Peter's motto is "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility." Nothing involves more responsibility than maintaining a marriage and treating your wife with love and respect. There is much more responsibility involved in a marriage than in a dating relationship so play off of that. I am not anywhere near as creative as the people working at Marvel and I've already thought of a way to work that with the character.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/912949