Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Big Little Bite - Brown Recluse Spiders, Your Home, and You



Crickets, and snails and other creepy-crawlies...they don't scare me. Snakes? Nah, they don't scare me either unless they're making rattling noises or standing at attention to an accompaniment of music from a snake charmers' flute. Neither do I suffer from arachnophobia (a general fear of spiders). Perhaps that lack of general concern for critters and such is a product of having been reared in central Florida where bugs are seemingly everywhere.There is one particular fear, though, that I do have...whether it be founded or unfounded, good or bad...and that's the quite reasonable (in my estimation) fear of unknowingly coming in too close contact with a Loxoceles reclusa...a Brown Recluse spider. If the truth were to be accurately conveyed...the very thought gives me the heebie-jeebies. The Brown Recluse is one of the few spiders that are harmful to humans. Another spider that is harmful to humans is the Black Widow with which most of us are at least vaguely familiar...but for some reason they just don't bother me too much although I am always "on the lookout" for them too.

Having performed thousands and thousands of Raleigh home inspections, I have had the opportunity to go in some great homes. I have also had the...opportunity, if you will...of going into some homes that were, well, not so great. Even in homes that look perfectly safe and in near pristine condition, there are potential dangers that may be lurking about.

Here in the eastern United States a large percentage of homes are constructed upon crawl space foundations. Crawl spaces have the deserved reputation of being less than desirable places to "hang out". I don't know anyone who finishes dinner, for instance, and says to their significant other "Honey, let's go down in the crawl space for a little while and...." You get the picture; it's just not the favorite part of the average persons' home. But it is an important place into which I must willingly and gallantly venture in the performance of my professional duties as a Home Inspector. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't relish the thought of being bitten by anything, really, but especially not a Brown Recluse spider. These spiders can be found in places other than crawl spaces. But it's usually there...in darkness and separated from the outside world, that I sometimes think about them (and other potential local hazards) and am usually in a heightened state of alert for any creature that might be observing me while I am making my observations...it's the things we don't see or hear that often impart the most fear in us, is it not?

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5499106